A Birmingham GP whose 40-year career was destroyed after he was wrongly convicted for groping a patient has been cleared of charges, and allowed to return to work. Dr Rajeshkumar Mehta told Birmingham Mail that he felt ‘delighted’ after his conviction was ‘quashed’ and he was reinstated by the General Medical Council.
The medic, who had an unblemished career of NHS service, was jailed for 15 months after he was convicted of sexual assault following an allegation from his time as a Sparkhill GP.
The GP was also struck off by the GMC in May 2019, following a hearing by the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.
The court had heard how the patient, who was a mum-of-two, had attended the surgery suffering with anxiety and the possible early symptoms of a heart attack and was allegedly groped during her examination.
But on December 13 last year after new evidence came to light showing the patient to have lied on oath, Mehta had his conviction ‘quashed’ by the Court of Appeal.
On 25 February it was revealed Dr Mehta had been reinstated onto the medical register which will allow him to practice again.
Dr Mehta told the Birmingham Mail, "I am delighted that my name has been reinstated onto the medical register, which I had joined back in 1978. After three very hard years, which left my career and reputation severely damaged, I can now look forward to the future.
"Once again, I want to thank my family and my legal team for their unwavering support."
Solicitor Nigel Richardson, who represented Dr Mehta reportedly said, "This is what we were working so hard to achieve and we are elated to see his name restored to the medical register.
"Dr Mehta's life had been destroyed on account of these false accusations, and clearing his name was the first step in rebuilding his career that he worked so hard to get in the first place."