Minicab drivers threaten legal action against Sadiq Khan

Wednesday 06th March 2019 07:19 EST
 

Minicab drivers have threatened legal action against the Mayor of London on the grounds that the Congestion Charge discriminates against people from ethnic minorities.

The Independent Workers Union of Great Britain (IWGB), which represents minicab drivers, sent a letter to Mayor of London Sadiq Khan on Friday, asking him to reverse the decision to levy the £11.50 Congestion Charges on drivers who were previously exempt from the charge.

It has given Mr Khan until March 6 to reverse the decision and the letter said if he does not do that the union will apply to the High Court for a judicial review.

The group, which includes Uber drivers, says the charge, which they will have to pay from April, is discriminatory as 94 per cent of minicab drivers are from black, Asian and other minority ethnic backgrounds.


comments powered by Disqus



to the free, weekly Asian Voice email newsletter