The evening of 26th February saw the Members Dining Room in the Palace of Westminster bursting with excitement, to celebrate the achievement of 27 individuals from different walks of life at the 9th Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards.
These awards represent a modest effort to honour number of outstanding individuals who serve society in their own special way, and who contribute significantly, in whatever they do, towards making a better world today and for the future.
Owing to the century old tradition of participation in the political process in the UK, Women and Men equally participate in political and public life in a number of ways, from holding office as political representatives, to exercising citizenship rights such as voting, and to playing an active role in community and voluntary organisations.
These awards are given annually to individuals who have made a special impact in the preceding 12 months, ranging from international politicians to individuals who have made a big difference in their local communities.
As in previous years, the competition for awards is extremely strong. This is a unique event where readers nominate and an independent panel of judges comprising of eminent personalities selects the winners.
The comperes for the evening were Nina T Pirani and DJ Lora and DDO Solicitors was the key sponsor.
CB Patel, Publisher/Editor of Asian Voice said: “Our awards this year recognised some incredible people who have made an enormous contribution to public life. I am so proud that we can celebrate those who have made a positive difference across all walks of life, regardless of political party, race, colour or religion.
“Award winners such as William Hague, who received our Lifetime Achievement Award, are instantly recognisable as people who can name so many incredible achievements.
“I am proud that we these awards also celebrate those individuals who make just as significant a contribution to their communities, such as our Business Person of the Year, Paul Luther. I congratulate all of this year’s winners and urge them to keep up the good work.”
Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP, Chairman of the Panel of Judges said: “I am delighted that we were able to celebrate some superb achievements at this year’s Political and Public Life Awards.
After so much hard work, the achievements of towering figures and rising stars in British politics were deservedly celebrated. I am delighted that individuals as respected as William Hague, Nicky Morgan and Andy Burnham were all honoured tonight.”
This year's distinguished winner are:
- Rt Hon William Hague, Leader of the House of Commons (Lifetime Achievement Award for Contribution to Politics)
- Michael Essien (Humanitarian Campaigner of the Year)
- Rt Hon Nicky Morgan MP, Secretary of the State (Cabinet Minister of the Year)
- Rt Hon Andy Burnham, Shadow Secretary of State for Health (Shadow Cabinet Minister of the Year)
- Presedintele Camerei Deputatilor Valeriu Zgonea (European Understanding Award)
- Madhu's Sheraton Heathrow (Restaurant of the Year)
- London evening Standard (Newspaper of the Year)
- Zac Goldsmith (Conservative Backbencher of the Year)
- Ian Paisley MP (Northern ireland MP of the Year)
- Martin Horwood MP (Liberal Democrat backbencher of the Year)
- Emma Lewell-Buck MP (Labour Backbencher of the Year)
- Chigwell School (School of the Year)
- Bhasker Patel (Actor of the Year)
- Michael Ellis MP (campaign of the 2010-2015 Parliament)
- Baroness King of Bow (Diversity in the Media Award)
- Toyota Prius (Car of the Year)
- Lawrence Ward (House Officer of the Year)
- Ali Soufan (international Award for Counter-Terrorism)
- John Cooper QC (Lawyer of the Year)
- Ibrahim Dogus (Community Service Award)
- Tessa Jowell MP (Award for Outstanding Political Contribution)
- Ambassador Dr Ion Jinga (Diplomat of the Year)
- Paul Luther (Business Person of the Year)
- Vishal Vadgama (Achievement in Arts and Culture)
- Prakash Patel (Young Entrepreneur of the Year)
- Dr Amit Lamba (Doctor of the Year)
- Bhupinder Singh (Professional of the Year)
Photo courtesy: Raj D Bakrania, Prmediapix