The world has stopped, and we have been presented with the gift of time. How we choose to use that time is up to us. Following old habits and expecting a different result, could be defined as ‘insane’. Let’s try something, take a blank sheet of paper and start to pen your thoughts and feelings. How does that feel? Welcome to the world of journaling. Here are 5 good reasons to make this a habit.
- Writing freely is cathartic. We spring cleans our minds and hearts. Thoughts, feelings, views and perspectives may have been weighing you down. By writing you can start to organize what is important and what isn’t. You start to see things in perspective, clearer than before and gain the ability to self-manage.
- Journaling is great for emotional, spiritual and mental vitality. By journaling we start to manage our stress (which impacts vitality levels). Studies have shown that expressive writing for 15-20 minutes a day can build our immunity, lower our blood pressure and improve our liver functionality.
- Journaling is a smart way for you to track subtle growth, it helps you to magnify feelings of ‘gratitude and celebration’. This can make us feel confident and improves or self-esteem and self-worth. When we re-visit what we have written, we can track the ups and the downs. We are less likely to feel a sense of Imposter syndrome as we know our path.
- Journaling is deeply healing. Sharing with no interruption and judgement. When you express feelings that are deeply rooted - any negativity dissipates.
- Your accumulated wisdom makes you more conscious around the choices you make going forward and enables you to develop healthier relationships with yourself and others.
You will need a quiet space to journal, light a candle and listen to your favourite music. Take as long as you need, write one word, a sentences or pages of text, worry less about it looking good and focus more on scribing all the things that are floating in your head and on your heart. Morning and evening are a good time to practice and there really is no rule book, if you feel heavy and want to lighten your load, this is for you. For more follow me on Instagram: Saha_Mamta or visit www.mamtasaha.com.