“The law must take its course,” said King Charles III in a grave and carefully worded statement, as Britain’s former Prince, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, a stunning and unprecedented development that has shaken the foundations of the monarchy.
According to reports, this marks the first time the Duke of York has been detained in connection with allegations tied directly to his public role. The 66-year-old, once a senior working royal and now a deeply controversial figure, was taken into custody as part of an active and intensifying investigation.
Earlier that day, unmarked police vehicles were reportedly seen arriving at Sandringham in Norfolk, the royal estate where he has been living in relative seclusion since withdrawing from official duties and vacating his Windsor residence under a cloud of public scrutiny.
A “seismic” moment for the monarchy
In an official statement heavy with emotion and constitutional restraint, the King declared, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The statement underscored the gravity of the moment — a reigning monarch publicly distancing himself from his own brother as the machinery of criminal justice began to turn.
The King’s position was swiftly and firmly backed by William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales, who voiced their support for his stance, reinforcing a united royal front.
Outside palace walls, shockwaves rippled through royal watchers and constitutional observers alike. The arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is “seismic” and has left senior royals in “uncharted waters”, royal commentator Peter Hunt told the Press Association.
Hunt warned starkly: “The arrest of the eighth in line to the British throne is seismic.
Senior royals are now in uncharted waters that they are ill-equipped to navigate.
“They will have to answer questions about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and be held accountable, something which, up until now, has been an alien concept for them.”
The political establishment responded with equal firmness. Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy made it clear that royal status would offer no shield from justice. Speaking to BBC News at the India AI Impact Summit in Delhi, he said, “Nobody in this country is above the law.
“And this is now a police investigation and that must happen in the usual way.”
Former prime minister Gordon Brown also revealed he had personally intervened by submitting new material to multiple police forces. He said, “I have submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies.
“This memorandum provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women.”
Police confirm arrest and searches
Meanwhile, Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest in a tightly controlled statement, saying a man in his sixties from Norfolk had been detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Officers are simultaneously carrying out searches at multiple addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk which have continued for a second day. For a second consecutive day, police teams remained on the ground, combing through addresses for evidence.
After 11 tense hours in custody on Thursday night, Prince Andrew under investigation, a legal limbo that leaves him uncharged but far from cleared.
Hours later, he was seen returning to the imposing gates of the Sandringham Estate, the royal residence standing in sombre contrast to the storm now engulfing him. Though technically free to come and go as he pleases, the shadow of suspicion looms large, and the unanswered questions continue to tighten their grip.
The long shadow of Jeffrey Epstein
This arrest unfolds against the long and deeply damaging shadow of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Recent reports citing new revelations suggested that Andrew may have shared potentially confidential documents with Epstein during his tenure as the UK’s trade envoy, reigniting controversy and casting a renewed shadow over his past conduct.
The arrest follows a series of claims that he allegedly shared official documents, including materials provided to Jeffrey Epstein. Previously reported allegations included assertions that he shared reports from trade visits, forwarded a confidential briefing on investment in Afghanistan, and passed a Treasury briefing to a personal business contact.
Andrew’s royal status, constitutional experts have noted, should have made no legal difference to how this case is assessed. It is also worth bearing in mind that his formal title was UK Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, and the Department for Business and Trade has emphasised, in guidance to the BBC, that he was not operating under the rules that now apply to trade envoys.
Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. He has not responded to the BBC’s requests for comment on the specific allegations tied to the release of millions of Epstein files in January.
For now, the investigation continues and the British monarchy faces one of the most testing chapters in its modern history.

