India's one of the most favourite international cricket star, Kevin Pietersen, commented on his twitter that he was aware that there was no guarantee he would be recalled to the England side but hoped he had been offered a "clean slate".
The Sky reported that he made his comments in response to a statement released on Friday by the new England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves.
Pietersen was told he would not represent England again following the 5-0 Ashes humiliation in Australia two winters ago, a decision which has given birth to huge controversy ever since. There also has been a strong feeling amongst Pietersen fans, that he is still 'being victimised' for his decision to go and play in the Indian Premier League, while other English cricketers refrained from or were advised against it.
Prior to starting work at the ECB, in an interview it appeared that Graves had allegedly suggested that Pietersen might be considered for a recall if he scored prolifically for a county side.
He also reportedly held private talks with Pietersen and the 34-year-old appeared apparently got the same impression, pulling out of an Indian Premier League contract and signing a deal with Surrey. But, despite Pietersen’s 355 not out against Leicestershire on Monday and Tuesday, new England cricket director Andrew Strauss announced this week that the batsman will not be selected this summer.
Strauss said: “Over months and years, trust has eroded between Kevin Pietersen and the ECB. There is a massive trust issue between me and Kevin.”
The decision, and the reasons given for it, sparked a further outcry. Pietersen himself reportedly wrote in the Telegraph that he felt he had been “deeply misled” and “led down the garden path”.
It prompted Graves to reportedly release a further statement defending his conduct, in which he said Pietersen had not been deceived. "I didn’t make any promises,” he said. “There were no guarantees that, if he chose to exit his IPL contract, play county cricket and score runs, he would be selected for England.”
A disappointed Pietersen responded by implying he knew he could not bank on a recall but thought he might at least be considered.
On Saturday morning he highlighted in a tweet by cricket broadcaster and writer Elizabeth Ammon, which read: “KP didn’t claim that Graves had made guarantees. Nowhere did anyone say he 'would' be selected.”
Pietersen added: “Exactly – no one is guaranteed selection. I was told there was a 'clean slate'. I wanted to earn my place back.”