National-Level wrestler dies of electrocution

Thursday 10th August 2017 05:00 EDT
 

In a freak incident, national-level wrestler Vishal Kumar Verma was fatally electrocuted due to a short circuit at the Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi. Built in 1978, the indoor stadium was flooded with rainwater since the beginning of monsoon, with its condition worsening on the past couple of weeks. “Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishal was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be main cause for this incident,” Shyamanand Mandal, officer in-charge of Kotwali station, said.

General secretary and coach of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association, Bholanath Singh said, “Vishal had stood fourth in the last senior national wrestling championship.” Ganesh Jha, general manager of Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam, said, “An executive engineer visited the site and reported that there is no fault in the power connection provided by JBVNL. However, there could be a loose connection in the building's internal electrical wiring.”


comments powered by Disqus


The Expansion of Heathrow Airport


Dear valued reader,

Here at Asian Voice, we are conducting an investigation in to the potential impacts of the expansion of London's Heathrow Airport. Following Parliaments' approval of the construction of a third runway, we are seeking to gain a better understanding of how the public feels regarding this sizeable proposal. We ask that you reply to our questionnaire so that we can get a feel of how our readers view the potential expansion. Views of those local to West London are particularly welcome.



to the free, weekly Asian Voice email newsletter