BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has been appointed as the chair of the ICC Men’s Cricket Committee. Ganguly, the former India captain, succeeds his former teammate and India captain Anil Kumble, who stepped down after having served the maximum of three three-year terms. The decision was taken at the International Cricket Council (ICC) Board Meeting in Dubai last week. “I am delighted to welcome Sourav to the position of Chair of the ICC Men’s Cricket Committee. His experience as one of the world’s best players and latterly as an administrator will help us shape our cricketing decisions moving forward. I would also like to thank Anil for his outstanding leadership over the last nine years which has included improving the international game through more regular and consistent application of DRS and a robust process for addressing suspect bowling actions,” said ICC chairman Greg Barclay.
Smriti Mandhana smash ton in WBBL
India women's team opening batter Smriti Mandhana became the first Indian player to score a century in the Women's Big Bash League. The southpaw achieved the feat during a game between the Sydney Thunder and the Melbourne Renegades at the Harrup Park in Queensland. Mandhana, who plays for the Thunder, stayed unbeaten on 114*, but couldn't take her team over the line as the Renegades won the game by a narrow margin. After winning the toss, Thunder decided to bowl against the Renegades. After being put on to bat first, the Renegades got off to a poor start as opener Jemimah Rodrigues and Carly Leeson were dismissed for cheap by Samantha Bates and Issy Wong, reducing the team to 9/2. However, Evelyn Jones and Harmanpreet Kaur steadied their ship, adding 91 runs for the third wicket before the former was also dismissed by Bates for a 33-ball 42. Harmanpreet, however, continued her onslaught as she and Jess Duffin took the Renegades to a total of 175/4. Harmanpreet remained unbeaten on 81 off 55 balls while Duffin was run out on the final ball of the Renegades' innings.
Painful end to Paine’s captaincy
Distraught and in tears, Tim Paine stepped down as captain of Australia’s Test cricket team after revelations he had been investigated and cleared over sexually explicit text messages sent to a female colleague four years ago. The scandal plunged Australia’s Ashes preparations into disarray three weeks before the first Test begins in Brisbane and placed the 36-year-old wicketkeeper’s international career in jeopardy. Breaking down while reading from a statement, Paine admitted he had been investigated by the sport’s national integrity unit over messages he sent to a former Cricket Tasmania staffer in 2017, a few months before he took over the captaincy. Though cleared of wrongdoing, the husband and father-of-three said, on reflection, his actions had not met the standards of an Australian cricket captain or the wider community. “I’m deeply sorry for the hurt and pain that I have caused to my wife, my family, and to the other party,” Paine told reporters in Hobart. “I’m sorry for any damage that this does to the reputation of our sport and I believe that it is the right decision for me to stand down as captain, effective immediately.”
AB de Villiers quits 'from all cricket'
South African superstar AB de Villiers took to Twitter to announce his retirement "from all cricket", saying that the at the age of 37, the "flame no longer burns so brightly". De Villiers, regarded as one of the best batters of his generation, last played an international match in April 2018 - a Test against Australia in Johannesburg. His last ODI game for South Africa was against India at Centurion on February 16, 2018 while he last turned up for his country in the shortest format on October 29, 2017. De Villiers announced his retirement through a series of tweets. "It has been an incredible journey, but I have decided to retire from all cricket. Ever since the back yard matches with my older brothers, I have played the game with pure enjoyment and unbridled enthusiasm. Now, at the age of 37, that flame no longer burns so brightly," the South African said. "That's the reality I must accept - and, even if it may seem sudden, that is why I am making this announcement today. I've had my time. Cricket has been exceptionally kind to me. Whether playing for the Titans, or the Proteas, or RCB, or around the world, the game has given me unimagined experiences and opportunities, and I will always be grateful."