Police crime commissioner’s son jailed for smashing parents’ £400 TV in a drunken rage

Father says he had no choice but to press charges

Wednesday 02nd January 2019 06:40 EST

The son of one of Britain's police and crime commissioners has been jailed after his father decided he had no choice but to press charges after he destroyed his TV during a drunken rampage.

Sherinder Dhindsa picked up a £400 LED smart TV in the bedroom of his parents' house in Allestree, Derby, and threw the gadget at a radiator, smashing it to pieces. His father Hardyal Dhindsa, who became the PCC for Derbyshire in 2016, said he and his wife had no choice but to pursue a prosecution as it was the latest in a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents involving their son.

Weeks before, the 31-year-old had been charged for refusing to take a police breathalyser test following a car accident. That incident in September saw him handed a suspended jail sentence and a 40-month driving ban. After Sherinder was jailed for 19 weeks following the second incident, Mr Dhindsa used the case to highlight the need for more resources to help fight the scourge of addiction on society.

On November 30, he turned violent so his parents went into their bedroom, Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court heard. But he came inside and put his fist through the wall-mounted TV before throwing it at a radiator.

The court heard how Sherinder Dhindsa had become 'addicted' to alcohol after splitting from his partner and taking over a pub. Mr and Mrs Dhindsa were so 'frightened' they called the police and had their son arrested. They also applied for a restraining order as they have 'simply had enough', according to Mr Fielding.

Mr Dhindsa provided a statement to the court that explained their decision to press charges.

Magistrates imposed a two-year restraining order on Sherinder Dhindsa that prohibits him from going to his parents' house. He was jailed for eight weeks. In addition, magistrates activated an 11-week suspended sentence handed to him during his previous court appearance. It meant Sherinder Dhindsa received a 19-week prison sentence in total.

Defence solicitor Pardeep Kalyan appealed for Sherinder Dhindsa to be spared jail.

Presiding magistrate Keith Robinson explained to Sherinder why he was being sent to prison.

'This incident was carried out only ten days after a suspended sentence was given to you. You would have been fully aware of what would happen if you failed to stay out of trouble. Therefore, we are going to activate the suspended sentence and add a further eight weeks [for the criminal damage]. That amounts to 19 weeks. You will serve half of the time in custody and the rest on licence.'

Following the hearing, Mr Dhindsa said of his son's sentencing: 'This is a personal matter for my son who will of course take responsibility for, and accept the consequences of, his actions. Those consequences are, rightly, a matter for the criminal justice system. That is as it should be and I hope that you understand that I do not wish to say anything further about this incident.’

Mr Dhindsa said society needed to do more to help rehabilitate people addicted to alcohol and drugs.

comments powered by Disqus

to the free, weekly Asian Voice email newsletter